Let's Dish: Creme Caramel
Baked custards are some of the most loved desserts, and the cheapest to make, and Crème Caramel is one of the most delicious.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: About 1 1/2 hours
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 Tablespoons water
1. To make the caramel, combine sugar and ¼ cup water in small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil over high heat and continue to cook until it turns a rich caramel color. Be very careful as caramel is over 300° F hot at this point.
3. Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 Tablespoons water. Be careful not to be burned by the steam--it is very hot! Stir until the water is dissolved. Pour into the bottoms of 4 small custard cups for individual servings. Let cool.
2 cups whole milk
Zest of 1/4 orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup sugar
1. Meanwhile, bring the milk, orange zest and vanilla to a boil over high heat.
2. Mix the eggs, yolk and sugar with a whip in a bowl until the mixture whitens.
3. Pour the boiling milk onto the egg mixture, stirring constantly.
4. Pour this mixture evenly into the custard cups.
5. Place the cups in a pan and fill the half way up the sides of the custard cups with room temperature water. Bake in a 300° oven for about 1 1/2 hours. The custards are done when they are just "set" or solidified. Let cool and store in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
6. To unmold, run a knife around the custards and unmold onto individual plates. If they are difficult to unmold, place the molds briefly in hot water and then unmold onto individual plates. Top with an assortment of fresh berries (and some whipped cream if you are in the mood not to count calories).
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies after Bellwood shooting 50 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults 23 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos