New Year's Day Brunch Recipes
December 30, 2012 -- As you know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And on New Year's Day, why not get together with friends or family for a nice meal in the morning?
As you know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And on New Year's Day, why not get together with friends or family for a nice meal in the morning.
Chef Ryan Kikkert, Jake Melnick's Corner Tap (www.jakemelnicks.com/), came into our ABC7 studio kitchen with ideas for a great brunch.
Chef Ryan's Tips:
- Bacon, French toast and eggs are easy to make for small or large groups
- For big groups, set up the food service up as a buffet
- Use disposable tableware for easy cleanup
- Choose dishes that have components that can be made ahead of time, such as deviled eggs
Chef Ryan's Recipes:
Truffled Deviled Eggs
1 dozen eggs
1/2 cup mayo
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp white truffle oil
1 tsp roasted garlic pure
2 tsp chopped fresh chives
¼ tsp sugar
salt & pepper to taste
Place the eggs in a 4 quart pot and cover with water.
Bring the water to a rapid boil and then turn off the heat.
Cover the pot and leaver for 13 mins. Transfer the eggs to an ice bath and let cool.
Remove eggs from shells, slice eggs in a half, and then remove yolks.
Transfer to a mixing bowl. Whisk together yolks and remaining ingredients until they form a uniform paste.
Using a pastry bag fill egg whites with mixture.
Garnish with fresh herbs.
Tip: A plastic sandwich bag can be substituted for the pastry bag.
46 oz container of tomato juice
1 beef bouillon cube
1 ½ tbs prepared horseradish
½ tsp course ground black pepper
½ Tbs hot sauce
1 tsp worcestershire
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbs BBQ Rub
1 tsp celery salt
8 oz of your favorite vodka or smoky scotch
In a large mixing bowl whisk beef bouillon into 3 tablespoons of hot water and whisk until smooth. Then add remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined.
Serve in a pint glass over ice and garnish with smoky beef jerky and cheese curds.
Crispy French Toast with Candied Pecan Syrup
4 large eggs
1 ¼ cup milk
1/8 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla pod)
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
6 slices challah bread cut into 1" slices
2 cups crushed corn flake cereal
6 Tbs canola or vegetable oil
½ cup pecan pieces
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
Preparation French Toast:
For the French toast batter, whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until lemon yellow.
Add milk, powdered sugar, extract and cinnamon until well incorporated.
Heat half of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dredge the bread in the batter and let soak about 20 seconds each side. Let excess batter drain and then place in cereal. Flip the bread until it is completely coated.
Place in the skillet and cook on each side until golden brown (About 1 min per side).
Remove the toast and place on a cookie sheet.
Once all of the toast has been browned place the cookie sheet into a 325 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the batter has been cooked through.
Garnish with the candied pecans and powdered sugar.
Add sugar and water to a medium sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
Add pecans and continue to simmer for 15 mins.
Remove the pecans with a slotted spoon and place on a well greased non-stick cookie sheet to cool for 20 minutes.
Continue to simmer the syrup until it reaches desired consistency.
Place the cooled pecans in a 325 degree oven for 10 minutes or until the sugar starts to harden.
Remove from oven and lightly season with salt. Allow candied nuts to cool and harden.
Serve both with the French toast.
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates