Chef Markus' Recipes : Kale-Wrapped Lamb Chop, Spinach Mashed Potatoes, Blueberry & Mint Gastrique
January 6, 2013 (WLS) -- Kale-Wrapped Lamb Chop, Spinach Mashed Potatoes, Blueberry & Mint Gastrique
1 baby lamb rack per person (New Zealand or Australian works best)
1 t thyme
1 t seasoning mix (kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, equal parts)
4-8 LARGE kale leaves, cleaned and trimmed
Cut lamb rack into double chops for an entrée or single chops for an appetizer.
Season each side of the chop by rubbing with a bit of olive oil, then sprinkle on the seasoning.
For double chops, you may want to lightly sear each side.
Blanch each kale leaf in boiling water for 30 seconds or so, just until supple and pliable.
Split each leaf in ½ lengthwise, and use this to wrap each of the lamb chops.
Place each chop onto an oiled baking sheet.
Roast at 400 degrees F for 5-7min, or until desired doneness.
Kale will be dark, crisp and crunchy.
Lamb should be medium rare.
Spinach Smashed potatoes
2lbs Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed clean
1 c cream
½ lb cream cheese (room temp)
2 oz parmesan cheese
1 clove of garlic minced
1 T EVOO
2 t Dijon mustard
½ c bacon bits (optional)
5 oz baby salad spinach
S&P to taste
Place clean potatoes in an 8qt or larger pot.
Cover with water, and bring to a rapid boil.
Continue to boil until fork tender.
Whip cream cheese in a sand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment till light and fluffy (aprox 2 min).
Strain off all water from potatoes.
Add hot potatoes to mixer on a low speed.
Once whipped in, slowly add all other ingredients (spinach last).
Adjust seasoning to taste, and serve warm.
Blueberry Mint Gastrique
1 c apple cider vinegar
1 c sugar
1 c frozen blueberries
½ oz mint leaves - chiffonade
Boil vinegar and sugar until all sugar is dissolved.
Add frozen blueberries, and return to a boil.
Remove from heat.
Puree, and then add mint while mixture is still very hot.
Let mixture cool to room temp.
Reheat as needed, and drizzle over lamb.
Serve with spinach mashed potatoes and broiled red peppers.
- Woman sexually abused in Mayfair park
- Food additive believed to be substance at Dunes beach
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat have no room for error
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- CTU president calls for tax changes to fund schools
- Governor, lawmakers plan to form new pension committee
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Lombard's Los Burritos Mexicanos still closed after E. coli cases
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- Car slams into Sauk Village apartment, sleeping couple injured
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos