Tofu and Cashew Lettuce Cups
Lynn Dugan teaches healthy cooking classes at Marcel's Culinary Experience in Glen Ellyn. She is a registered dietitian who also holds a master's degree in exercise physiology.
Serves 4 to 6.
2 tablespoons canola oil
14-ounce package firm tofu; drained and cut into 1-inch squares
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts; drained and chopped
1/3 cup roasted, unsalted cashews; chopped
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 small head of Boston or Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
Sauce: 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup honey, 1 tablespoon Asian chili sauce
Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and ginger until golden and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tofu, stirring occasionally until browning begins, about 3 minutes. Add the scallions and carrots and cook for 1 minute. Stir in water chestnuts and soy sauce mixture. Cook until heated through, about 2-3 minutes (if needed, thicken with 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cool water). Remove from heat and add cashews.
Divide the rice among the individual lettuce leaves. Repeat with tofu mixture. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos