Tofu and Cashew Lettuce Cups
Lynn Dugan teaches healthy cooking classes at Marcel's Culinary Experience in Glen Ellyn. She is a registered dietitian who also holds a master's degree in exercise physiology.
Serves 4 to 6.
2 tablespoons canola oil
14-ounce package firm tofu; drained and cut into 1-inch squares
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts; drained and chopped
1/3 cup roasted, unsalted cashews; chopped
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 small head of Boston or Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
Sauce: 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup honey, 1 tablespoon Asian chili sauce
Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and ginger until golden and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tofu, stirring occasionally until browning begins, about 3 minutes. Add the scallions and carrots and cook for 1 minute. Stir in water chestnuts and soy sauce mixture. Cook until heated through, about 2-3 minutes (if needed, thicken with 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cool water). Remove from heat and add cashews.
Divide the rice among the individual lettuce leaves. Repeat with tofu mixture. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...