Let's Dish: Bass Veracruz
Let's Dish host Chris Koetke's makes a Bass Veracruz recipe, which originated in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula
Difficulty: Moderate Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Serves: 6
28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ cup chopped pimento-stuffed green olives (about 20 olives)
2 tablespoons capers, drained
2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapenos
2 tablespoons lime juice (approx. 1 lime)
6 - 6-8 ounce bass or other meaty white-fleshed filets, skinned
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Drain the diced tomatoes over a bowl. Reserve the juices.
2. Heat oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for several minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
3. Add drained tomatoes, thyme, oregano and 1/4 cup of the reserved tomato juices. Cook until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
4. Stir in olives, capers, jalapenos and remaining tomato juices. Cook until sauce becomes thick again, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Preheat oven to 425-degrees F. Spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of 15x10x2" glass baking dish. Season filets with salt and pepper and place on top of this layer. Spoon the remaining sauce over the filets.
6. Bake uncovered until fish is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
7. Transfer the cooked filet to plates using a spatula. Spoon some of the sauce over each filet and garnish with cilantro leaves and lime wedges.
- 2 storms take aim at Chicago area 13 min ago
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened 17 min ago
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 21 min ago
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January 9 min ago
- Man believed to be Gacy victim found living in Montana 32 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40 million accounts
- Over 80 injured in partial London theater collapse 30 min ago
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated 1 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Free gift-wrapping service at O'Hare, Midway 30 min ago
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
21 min ago
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where...
17 min ago
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold...
9 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to...
1 min ago