Let's Dish: Bass Veracruz
Let's Dish host Chris Koetke's makes a Bass Veracruz recipe, which originated in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula
Difficulty: Moderate Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Serves: 6
28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ cup chopped pimento-stuffed green olives (about 20 olives)
2 tablespoons capers, drained
2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapenos
2 tablespoons lime juice (approx. 1 lime)
6 - 6-8 ounce bass or other meaty white-fleshed filets, skinned
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Drain the diced tomatoes over a bowl. Reserve the juices.
2. Heat oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for several minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
3. Add drained tomatoes, thyme, oregano and 1/4 cup of the reserved tomato juices. Cook until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
4. Stir in olives, capers, jalapenos and remaining tomato juices. Cook until sauce becomes thick again, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Preheat oven to 425-degrees F. Spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of 15x10x2" glass baking dish. Season filets with salt and pepper and place on top of this layer. Spoon the remaining sauce over the filets.
6. Bake uncovered until fish is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
7. Transfer the cooked filet to plates using a spatula. Spoon some of the sauce over each filet and garnish with cilantro leaves and lime wedges.
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 1 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores 58 min ago
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing 55 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant 52 min ago
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape 55 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
1 min ago
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
58 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos