Let's Dish: Bass Veracruz
Let's Dish host Chris Koetke's makes a Bass Veracruz recipe, which originated in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula
Difficulty: Moderate Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Serves: 6
28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ cup chopped pimento-stuffed green olives (about 20 olives)
2 tablespoons capers, drained
2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapenos
2 tablespoons lime juice (approx. 1 lime)
6 - 6-8 ounce bass or other meaty white-fleshed filets, skinned
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Drain the diced tomatoes over a bowl. Reserve the juices.
2. Heat oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for several minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
3. Add drained tomatoes, thyme, oregano and 1/4 cup of the reserved tomato juices. Cook until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
4. Stir in olives, capers, jalapenos and remaining tomato juices. Cook until sauce becomes thick again, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Preheat oven to 425-degrees F. Spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of 15x10x2" glass baking dish. Season filets with salt and pepper and place on top of this layer. Spoon the remaining sauce over the filets.
6. Bake uncovered until fish is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
7. Transfer the cooked filet to plates using a spatula. Spoon some of the sauce over each filet and garnish with cilantro leaves and lime wedges.
- NLRB grants review of NU football players union ruling 9 min ago
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path
- NIU hazing death case in court
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- 1888 shipwreck pictures in SF Bay released
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos