Let's Dish: Valentine Scallops and Mushroom Ragout
Luscious, caramelized scallops and a mushroom ragout, what a great way to begin a romantic, Valentine's Day dinner.
Prep Time: 20 minutes (plus up to 24 hours marinating time)
Cooking time: 8-12 minutes
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1/4 cup finely minced shallots
3 Tablespoons pale dry sherry
8 ounces crimini mushrooms, cut into ¼ inch slices
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
7 ounces shitake mushrooms, stems discarded, cut into ¼ inch slices
4 ounces oyster mushrooms, gently pulled apart into smaller pieces (You can also use white button mushrooms if you cannot find them)
4 ounces portabella mushrooms, gently pulled apart into smaller pieces
3/4 cup heavy cream
10 large dry packed sea scallops (12 -14 ounces), abductor muscles removed*, and seasoned with salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon finely chopped chives
The abductor muscle is a small, hard muscle attached to the side of the muscle. To remove, simply pull off.
1. Heat 1 Tablespoon butter and 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Add shallots and sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms and continue sautéing until they are softened and lightly browned.
4. Add dry sherry and reduce sherry by half.
5. Add heavy cream along with salt and pepper. Bring to a slow boil and cook for three minutes to reduce the cream. (This can be used shortly after preparation or chilled and reheated later.)
6. In a separate sauté pan, heat remaining butter and olive oil over high heat until the butter starts to brown.
7. Add scallops and sauté on each side for about 2-3 minutes. When done, they should be nicely browned on the outside and medium rare on the inside.
8. Put mushroom ragout on the plate and top with scallops. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
- CTA: Red Line delays persist, train service restored 63rd to 95th 20 min ago
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Report: Centrella could buy some Dominick's stores
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- 4M passengers expected at Chicago's airports during holidays
- Man charged with fatal shooting of 12-year-old in 2012
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- London Apollo Theatre collapse injures 79
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos