Let's Dish: Valentine Scallops and Mushroom Ragout
Luscious, caramelized scallops and a mushroom ragout, what a great way to begin a romantic, Valentine's Day dinner.
Prep Time: 20 minutes (plus up to 24 hours marinating time)
Cooking time: 8-12 minutes
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1/4 cup finely minced shallots
3 Tablespoons pale dry sherry
8 ounces crimini mushrooms, cut into ¼ inch slices
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
7 ounces shitake mushrooms, stems discarded, cut into ¼ inch slices
4 ounces oyster mushrooms, gently pulled apart into smaller pieces (You can also use white button mushrooms if you cannot find them)
4 ounces portabella mushrooms, gently pulled apart into smaller pieces
3/4 cup heavy cream
10 large dry packed sea scallops (12 -14 ounces), abductor muscles removed*, and seasoned with salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon finely chopped chives
The abductor muscle is a small, hard muscle attached to the side of the muscle. To remove, simply pull off.
1. Heat 1 Tablespoon butter and 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Add shallots and sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms and continue sautéing until they are softened and lightly browned.
4. Add dry sherry and reduce sherry by half.
5. Add heavy cream along with salt and pepper. Bring to a slow boil and cook for three minutes to reduce the cream. (This can be used shortly after preparation or chilled and reheated later.)
6. In a separate sauté pan, heat remaining butter and olive oil over high heat until the butter starts to brown.
7. Add scallops and sauté on each side for about 2-3 minutes. When done, they should be nicely browned on the outside and medium rare on the inside.
8. Put mushroom ragout on the plate and top with scallops. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
- Fans subdued after Blackhawks lose Game 3
- Mysterious substance closes Indiana beaches
- Danny Green, Manu Ginobili lead Spurs to Game 5 win over Heat
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bruins beat Hawks 2-0, take series lead 2-1
- Mother convicted of killing son exonerated
- Man tried to sexually assault girl, 14, at gunpoint: Police
- Bill Daley proposes plan to end pension deadlock
- Chicago violence kills 8; 46 shot over weekend
- Ex-Chicago Ald. Medrano convicted in bribery case
- Cops: Man crawled through window, abused girl
- Evanston man accused of stealing, selling, re-stealing car
- Chief Keef pleads guilty to speeding, faces 2nd paternity suit
- abcnews: NSA Leaker Alleges US Spied on Allies
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos