Almost Famous Chef: Oscar-Inspired Recipes
February 24, 2013 (WLS) -- Oscar Sunday is all about already famous people, and those who are "almost famous." Every year, the , S.Pellegrino Almost Famous Chef Competition searches for the next Almost Famous chefs, and on Sunday morning during our ABC 7 News, we had a contestant in this year's competition in our studio.
Paula Wojcik won the North Central division's People's Choice Award. Along with her was a chef who's definitely already famous: Tony Mantuano from Spiaggia. He joins forces with S. Pellegrino Almost Famous Chef Competition to advance the next generation of culinary legends.
Oscar-Inspired Recipe: Margherita Italiano
Playful inspiration from Django Unchained and the Spaghetti Western-style of the movie. Plus, it's a great drink that's easy to make for guests.
1 part tequila
2 parts S. Pellegrino Sparkling Blood Orange Juice
1 blood orange slice (per glass)
Combine tequila and S. Pellegrino Sparkling Blood Orange Juice in a glass and stir.
Serve on the rocks with blood orange slice as garnish.
Oscar-Inspired Recipe: Truffle Deviled Eggs
This French-inspired recipe from the Oscar-nominated movie "Les Miserables" is a simple appetizer perfect for an Oscar viewing party or get together.
1 cups mayonnaise
1/8 cup cream cheese
1 tablespoon truffle oil
Pinch cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped truffles peelings
Chopped chives, for garnish
Special Equipment: Disposable pastry bag
Place the eggs in a pot, and cover with tap water.
The level of the water should be about 1 inch above the eggs.
Bring the pot to a boil and cover!
Turn off the heat and let sit for EXACTLY 13 minutes!
Uncover, and run the eggs under cold water if using right away, or refrigerate until ready to use.
Peel the eggs, and cut in half lengthwise.
Remove the yolks from the whites.
Mash the yolks with a fork.
Add the mayonnaise, cream cheese, truffle oil, cayenne and truffle peelings.
Whip until very light and fluffy.
*If you want a little more truffle flavor, add a little more truffle oil. Careful - it is very easy to over-truffle!
Spoon or pipe the yolk mixture into the whites.
Sprinkle with chopped chives.
If piping, fill the pastry bag with the egg mixture, then cut the tip of the bag off to form a hole about 1/4-inch in diameter.
Pipe the mixture into the egg white halves.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games 12 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Chris Farley's brother seeks Madison aldermanic seat
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home