Let's Dish: Welsh Rarebit
May 1, 2013 (WLS) -- The host of the Live Well Network show Let's Dish, Chris Koetke, shares a classic recipe that can be used as both an appetizer, or an entrée&it's essentially a beer and cheese fondue known as Welsh Rarebit!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/4 cups nut brown ale
8 oz. grated, well-aged cheddar cheese
2 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Several pinched cayenne
4 large pieces of bread (rye or whole wheat are the best), toasted
1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and cook for several minutes until it turns a light tan color.
2. Add mustard and ale. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Simmer for several minutes.
3. Then, lower heat and add remaining ingredients. Stir until the cheese is melted.
4. Pour over toast and serve immediately. (An alternate preparation is to pour over toasts and then put under the broiler for several minutes until lightly browned).
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building 9 min ago
- Fast-food workers protest low wages
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment
- 2 sex assault attempts reported in Humboldt Park 2 min ago
- Coyote interrupts morning rush on I-55 1 min ago
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- 2 men charged with felony mail theft 29 min ago
- Mayor to create grocery store task force
- 2 men arrested on drug charges
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace...
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- 7 in :77
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos