Let's Dish: Welsh Rarebit
May 1, 2013 (WLS) -- The host of the Live Well Network show Let's Dish, Chris Koetke, shares a classic recipe that can be used as both an appetizer, or an entrée&it's essentially a beer and cheese fondue known as Welsh Rarebit!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/4 cups nut brown ale
8 oz. grated, well-aged cheddar cheese
2 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Several pinched cayenne
4 large pieces of bread (rye or whole wheat are the best), toasted
1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and cook for several minutes until it turns a light tan color.
2. Add mustard and ale. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Simmer for several minutes.
3. Then, lower heat and add remaining ingredients. Stir until the cheese is melted.
4. Pour over toast and serve immediately. (An alternate preparation is to pour over toasts and then put under the broiler for several minutes until lightly browned).
- Snow blankets city, suburbs 18 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 22 min ago
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary