Let's Dish: Welsh Rarebit
May 1, 2013 (WLS) -- The host of the Live Well Network show Let's Dish, Chris Koetke, shares a classic recipe that can be used as both an appetizer, or an entrée&it's essentially a beer and cheese fondue known as Welsh Rarebit!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/4 cups nut brown ale
8 oz. grated, well-aged cheddar cheese
2 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Several pinched cayenne
4 large pieces of bread (rye or whole wheat are the best), toasted
1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and cook for several minutes until it turns a light tan color.
2. Add mustard and ale. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Simmer for several minutes.
3. Then, lower heat and add remaining ingredients. Stir until the cheese is melted.
4. Pour over toast and serve immediately. (An alternate preparation is to pour over toasts and then put under the broiler for several minutes until lightly browned).
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer