Chef Homaro Cantu's Breakfast Radish recipe | Hydroponic gardens at Moto Restaurants
May 21, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A new trend in the restaurant industry could someday find its way into homes. Moto Restaurant is among the first in Chicago to use a hydroponic garden to grow many of the ingredients that chefs use in the daily dishes.
Homaro Cantu is the executive chef at Moto and iNG restaurants in Chicago.
MOTO Restaurant 945 W. Fulton Market Chicago, IL
Chef Cantu presented information about his hydroponic garden at National Restaurant Association, Hotel-Motel Show, show.restaurant.org/Home
Breakfast radish recipe, Chef Homaro Cantu
Sun Choke Purée
500g sun chokes
200g cooking liquid
3 g ultratex 8
Salt to taste
1. Peel sun choke and cut 1/2 in thick.
2. Cover with cold water and simmer for 15 minutes.
3 strain sun chokes and reserve cooking liquid.
4. Weight 500g of cooked sun choke and 200 g of cooking liquid.
6. While pureeing add butter and ultratex 8
7. Season with salt and cool purée, place in a squeeze bottle
Brown Butter Powder
100g brown butter
100g tapioca maltodextrin
1. Melt brown butter
2. Place maltodextrin in a food processor
3. Slowly drizzle in brown butter
4. Season with salt
1 lb butter
1. Set up a sous vide bath and set temperature to 35* Celsius
2. Dice up butter and place in a plastic pastry bag, cryo vac on setting 1 to seal the bag
3. Place butter in bath for 45 minutes to melt
4. Pour butter into a thermo isi canister , and charge with one NO2 charger
5. Place it into the water bath to maintain a warm butter mixture.
1 cup sugar
1 cup champagne
6 each oranges
1. Place champagne and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil
2. Segment oranges and add them to the champagne simple syrup
3 simmer on low for 45 minutes until it resembles a jam
Candied Lemon Peel
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1. Peel the lemon and remove any pith
2. Slice the lemon peel 1/8 inch thick
3. Place sliced peels in a pot and cover with cold water
4. Bring to a boil and repeat the process 3 times
5. Place lemon juice and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil.
6. Add blanched lemon peels to lemon simple syrup and simmer for 30minutes in low heat until candied
131g milk whole
412g bread flour
6g fresh yeast
1/2# butter chipped softened
1. Add dry ingredients and wet ingredients in a wing bowl
2. Start on speed 2 for two minutes
3. Then speed 5 for two minutes
4. Then speed 7 for ten minutes and slowly add butter one cube at a time until its incorporated and you can pull a window.
5, place in a bowl and let proof for 1 hour at Room Temperature
6. Place in the cooler overnight
7. Remove from cooler and form into a loaf
8. Let proof again for one hour in a warm spot
9. Brush with egg wash and bake at 350 degree F for 30 minutes
10. After baked dice bread 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch
11. Fry in clarified butter at 275 degrees for 1 minute
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 6 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted 46 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 8 min ago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
6 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually...
46 min ago