Art Smith's Unfried Chicken with Roasted Brussels Sprouts
May 28, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With tongue in cheek, I call this chicken ''unfried.'' That's because I am well known for fried chicken, which may be the crown jewel of southern cooking but is a dish I avoid these days.
I like unfried chicken just as much. The chicken is soaked in tangy buttermilk and then coated with flavorful breading, just like fried chicken. The difference is that it's baked.
This dish was on the menu at LYFE Kitchen. I first prepared it when Oprah's movie "Beloved" opened. One of the many lessons I learned from Oprah is to offer people a choice at meals, and one of those choices should be a healthy one. To this day I honor that lesson in my home and my restaurants.
For the chicken:
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon Louisiana Hot Sauce or another hot sauce
4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut in half
1 1/2 cups multigrain or whole wheat panko bread crumbs
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
For the brussels sprouts:
16 brussels sprouts, cut in half
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the garnish:
1 lemon, quartered
METHOD To prepare the chicken: Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a mixing bowl, mix the buttermilk and hot sauce. Submerge the chicken pieces in the buttermilk and soak in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour but no more than 24 hours.
In a gallon-size plastic bag, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, black pepper, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Seal the bag and shake until well mixed. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and transfer directly to the bag with the bread crumb mixture. Shake the bag until the chicken breasts are evenly coated with the bread crumbs. Remove the chicken breasts from the bag and lay flat on a nonstick baking sheet. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Bake the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes or until just cooked through.
To prepare the brussels sprouts: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place brussels sprouts in a medium mixing bowl, toss with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread the brussels sprouts in a medium ovenproof baking dish and roast for 20 minutes or until caramelized and tender.
ASSEMBLY Divide the chicken and brussels sprouts among 4 serving plates, and squeeze the lemon over the chicken.
Per serving: 427 calories | 12 g fat | 3 g sat fat | 79 mg chol | 349 mg sodium | 45 g carb | 6 g sugar | 9 g fiber | 40 g protein | 185 mg calcium
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 46 min ago
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77