Caramelized Coconut Chips, Thai Meatball Poppers
June 10, 2013 -- From Dr. Kellyann Petrucci, nutritionist and author:
Caramelized Coconut Chips
Makes 1 cup
Prep 10 seconds
Cook 3 minutes
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Mix the salt and cinnamon with a fork in a small ramekin and save for later. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the coconut flakes and distribute evenly, so it forms a single layer in the bottom of the pan. Stir frequently as it begins to crisp and turn brown quickly. This step only takes about 3 minutes, so pay close attention! When flakes have reached an appealing level of toastiness, remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle the hot coconut flakes with the salty cinnamon and toss until it is evenly seasoned. Transfer to a plate and allow it to cool in a single layer for maximum crunch. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
2 pounds ground beef
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon coconut aminos
2 teaspoons of Thai red curry paste
2 teaspoons coconut oil
2 teaspoons of lemongrass; chopped fine
¾ cup of dried basil leaves; chopped fine
¾ cup cilantro leaves; chopped fine
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced celery
1/4 cup minced carrot
1/4 cup almond flour
1 Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line an 11-x-17-inch rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
2 In a medium mixing bowl, combine the beef, almond flour, pepper, lemongrass, basil and cilantro. Use your hands to mix well.
3 Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the coconut aminos, onions, celery, and carrots and cook until they're translucent, about 4 minutes.
4 Set the onion mixture aside until it's cool enough to handle. Combine the cooled mixture with the meat and form it into 24 meatballs, roughly 1-inch in size.
5 Place meatballs on the lined baking pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV 20 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting 7 min ago
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Hadiya Pendleton Foundation holds holiday toy drive
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday
- Astronauts sail through repair spacewalks aboard ISS
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood...
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos