Let's Dish: Leek Mustard Salad
June 10, 2013 -- Chris Koetke, host of Let's Dish, has a salad recipe that uses leeks and mustard for a flavorful combo. . . and it's one of his all time favorite salads.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes (depending on the size of the leeks)
Yield: 6 salad portions
6 large leeks
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard (or more depending on the strength of the mustard)
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Remove dark green leaves from the leeks. Trim the smallest amount of the root end from the leeks and discard.
2. Split leeks in half lengthwise, keeping a small portion of the root end intact in each half.
3. Wash leeks well under running water. Be sure to check for sand that is often hidden between the leaves.
4. Tie leeks together into 2 bundles using kitchen twine.
5. Place leeks in a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook for 30-40 minutes. The leeks should be very tender. Remove the leeks from the water let cool. When cool, squeeze the leeks between your hands to remove excess moisture.
6. Meanwhile, mix vinegar, mustard, and tarragon in a medium bowl. Add olive oil very slowly at first, whisking constantly. As the oil is incorporated into the sauce, add it at a faster pace, always whisking constantly. Taste for seasoning.
7. Pour the vinaigrette on the leeks. Mix gently and place the leeks in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. The flavor will improve over 1 day.
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead 32 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine 11 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program 47 min ago
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela 56 min ago
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
32 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe...
11 min ago