Cooking with Freekeh
June 11, 2013 -- Freekeh is an ancient, whole grain that's recently getting more attention for its nutritional benefits.
Bonnie Mathews author of the cookbook "30 Ways to Freekeh!" is here to show us how to cook with it.
More about Bonnie Matthews
The freekeh craze all started when Bonnie Matthews weighed more than 275 pounds. She discovered that freekeh, an ancient grain high in protein and fiber, was a great way to help her trim her waistline. She lost 120 pounds!
Hoping to inspire others who struggle with weight loss, Bonnie emailed Oprah.com and in 2010, she was a guest on The Dr. Oz Show! She shared her story and introduced Dr. Oz and millions of viewers to freekeh while discussing recipes she used to lose weight.
At the end of the segment, Dr. Oz invited Bonnie to become a Wellness Warrior blogger on his website, www.doctoroz.com, and she is constantly sharing recipes, including those from her new cookbook, "30 Ways to Freekeh!"
At the time her segment aired, freekeh was not readily available in the U.S. but in 2012, Bonnie teamed up with Nature's Organic Grist, Troy DeSmet, to create the brand known as Freekeh Foods. After just 3 months, Freekeh Foods is the leading U.S. manufacturer of the all-natural, roasted green wheat whole grain and the only manufacturer of flavored freekeh, including tamari and rosemary sage.
Freekeh Food's products can be found in 1,500 stores across the country including Whole Foods! For more information, visit www.freekeh-foods.com.
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTA Blue Line train service resumes 38 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- 7 in :77