Mediterranean Freekeh Salad
June 11, 2013 -- From Bonnie Matthews, Freekeh Foods
1 (8 oz) pkg. cracked freekeh (about 1 cup) (use Original or Rosemary Sage)
2 1/2 - 3 cups water or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups pitted Kalamata olives,cut in half
1 1/2 cups (or more) fire-roasted tomatoes or sun dried tomatoes
2 - 4 garlic cloves crushed (or more)
fresh basil, chopped
pine nuts, lightly toasted in olive oil
2 - 3 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon
pearled fresh mozzerella balls
options: Add garbanzo or cannellini beans.
Add the following seasonings to taste:?
sea salt, olive oil, oregano, black pepper
Step 1 - Cook Freekeh according to package instructions.
Step 2 - While freekeh is cooking, cut olives, tomatoes and basil.
Step 3 - Toast pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat in 1 teaspoon olive oil until golden.Once done, let cool.
Step 4 - When freekeh is done, allow to cool.
Step 5 - Once freekeh is cool, in a large bowl, add all other ingredients. Add more seasoning to taste. Serve room temperature.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Employees, customers prepare Dominick's final days
- Midlothian store allegedly burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- Me You & Her raises money for Chicago food banks
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos