Modern Hanukkah Fare
November 23, 2013 (WLS) -- 2013 is a special year in terms of holidays. For the first time in decades, Thanksgiving and Hanukkah are at the same time. As you get ready to prepare a festive spread, why not put a modern twist on Hanukkah this year?
Martial Noguier, Chef/ Owner of Bistronomic, and Christian Gosselin, Chef de Cuisine of Bistronomic, came into our ABC 7 Eyewitness News studio to show us how to do that.
Chef Martial Noguier's Recipes:
Warm Cured Faroe Island Salmon
2.5 lbs. Faroe Island Salmon filets, boneless and skinless
0.5 lbs. sugar
0.5 lbs. kosher salt
2 each sliced carrots very fine
2 each sliced onion very fine
2 each bay leaves
10 each whole white peppercorns
20 each mustard seeds
Olive oil, as appropriate
Cure the salmon for 3 hours in the refrigerator with the sugar and kosher salt. Then rinse under cold water and dry with paper towels.
Place the salmon in olive oil along with the carrots, onions, bay leaves, whole white peppercorns, and mustard seeds.
Wait 48 hours before consumption. When removing, use tongs so as not to spoil the oil and therefore the product. To serve cut in "batonnets".
Best served with potato rosti and chive lemon creme fraiche.
1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, chilled and shredded
1/4 pound onions, shredded
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon chives
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon chopped chives
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Mix the shredded potato and onions together.
Add the herbs, melted butter, and oil.
Warm a non-stick pan and place the potatoes in the pan.
They should be approximately 1/4-inch thick.
Cover the whole pan and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side.
Finish in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 350F.
- Young girl killed by falling bookcase in Northbrook
- 3-year old killed in Rogers Park fire 15 min ago
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm 1 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Affordable Care Act plan enrollment deadline looms 2 min ago
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- Carly Rousso trial date set for fatal DUI crash
- Quarry to resume operations following McCook earthquake
- Chicago River to be dyed green this weekend despite ice
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Political consultant hit by falling ice
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- Starbucks to allow customers to tip via app 36 min ago