Hot soups for cold days
January 12, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With the cold weather, we're all looking for ways to warm up. How about a tasty way to do that, with hot soups?
Kendal Duque, Executive Chef at American Junkie came into our ABC 7 Eyewitness News studio to show us how to make a smoked chicken and wild rice soup. This January, Chef Duque invites you to warm up with his delicious soup and beer pairings.
American Junkie Chicago
15 Illinois St.
Chicago, IL 60654
Monday- Tuesday: 4 p.m.- 12 a.m.
Wednesday: 11 a.m. - 12 a.m.
Thursday-Friday: 11 a.m.- 2 a.m.
Saturday: 11 a.m.- 3 a.m.
Sunday: 11:00 a.m.- 12 a.m.
Draft Beer and Soup Pairings at American Junkie:
Available January 1 - 31
Combination Soup and Beer: $12
- Smoked Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Paired with Stone Cali-Belgique
- New England Clam Chowder
Paired with Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Chef Duque's Recipe: Smoked Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Yield: approx. 8 qt
Beer Pairing: Stone Cali-Belgique
Ingredients: ¾ cup diced yellow onions
¾ cup diced celery
¾ cup diced carrots
½ cup sliced garlic
3 tbs picked thyme
1 tbs toasted chili flakes
3 ind lemons (zested and juiced)
½ cup arborio rice
2 cups white wine
3 qt chicken stock
1 qt heavy cream
1 pt marscapone cheese
1 qt diced smoked chicken thighs
¼ cup worcestershire sauce
1 qt wild rice (cook al dente)
- Using a large pot, start by sweating the onions with a little olive oil.
- Then add your garlic, carrots and celery. Let that go for just a minute or two and add the picked thyme, toasted chili and the lemon zest.
- Now add the Arborio rice and momentarily after the white wine. Reduce until almost all the wine is cooked off.
- Add the chicken stock and heavy cream. You will let everything simmer for 10 or 15 minutes.
- Add the smoked chicken and continue to adjust your heat to maintain a simmer.
- Start to season the soup with salt, a healthy amount of black pepper, mascarpone cheese, lemon juice and worcestshire sauce. Important to do this a little at a time so nothing gets away from you.
- When the soup is fully seasoned and vegetables are tender you will add the wild rice. If soup is thicker that you would like you can add more chicken stock or water.
- Immediately put in ice bath to prevent the rice from over cooking.
- Spring-like day followed by snow 10 min ago
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial 25 min ago
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket 12 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking 34 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 21 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Photos: Semi overturns, dumps beads on Tri-State
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- Spring-like day followed by snow
10 min ago
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by...
41 min ago
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
25 min ago