Juicing: How healthy is it?
What to know before adding fresh juice to your diet.
Kim Kirchherr, MS, RDN, LDN, CDE
1. Keep a food journal
2. Portions count
3. Ingredients matter
1. Eat your fruit and veggie calories (versus drinking them)
Needs vary by age and gender; average adult: about 2 cups of fruit and 1.5-2 cups veggies daily
1 cup of 100% fruit or vegetable juice (if you have diabetes and are counting carbohydrates, portions may be different)
Focus on fiber, nutrients, and overall appeal for the meal
Whole fruits and vegetables typically have more fiber
If you do make a smoothie or juice, do not throw away the pulp!
Consider soup as way to enjoy more fruits and vegetables easily
For more information:
2. Eat regular, balanced meals, including breakfast
Learning Connection -" the science-based concept that improved nutrition, including breakfast, coupled with physical activity can help lead to better academic performance"
Food group pairings for a more balanced and satisfying meal or snack
2 out of five food groups for a snack, 3 out of five food groups for a meal
3. Keep a food journal
Journal for at least 3 days, recording all foods and beverages, review this and use to look for gaps in food groups
Plan meals that work for your schedule and food preferences
Balance indulgent choices with every day choices
Start with fruits and vegetables (half your plate)
Shop by season and sales
Plan ahead (soups and smoothies to freeze in individual portions)
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 2 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say 37 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly Airport
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
2 min ago
- 2014 International Home + Housewares Show
6 min ago