Cafe Hoang's specialty is pho
December 16, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Spend any time walking along Argyle Street in Uptown, and you'll notice similarities. They pretty much all offer pho, the ubiquitous soup from Vietnam, which is made throughout the day at Cafe Hoang, by a family that literally cooks and eats together.
It begins with rice noodles that have to be softened first in a bit of hot water; they go into the bowl first. Then depending on which pho you get, they'll place thinly-sliced raw eye of round beef in a shallow layer over the noodles.
Then the broth, which is truly the point of difference at each restaurant on Argyle. They add giant white onions and handfuls of star anise to a massive stock pot filled with beef bones, and let it simmer for a few hours.
When that hot broth is strained and poured into the bowl, it cooks the beef within seconds. A handful of freshly-chopped onions, scallions and cilantro is added just before serving.
At the table, you're also presented with a small plate, containing fresh basil leaves, crunchy bean sprouts, a bit of sliced jalapeno and fresh lime. You can doctor up your soup as you wish, but the wonderful aroma needs very little tweaking.
Another delicious soup is the tamarind catfish, which is almost like a Vietnamese gumbo, in that it contains large pieces of okra and comes with white rice.
Again, the aroma is intoxicating, and the hint of tamarind offers both sweet and sour elements that work really well in the soup. Order a strong Vietnamese iced coffee to go along with it, dip your slices of beef into a yin-yang of sweet hoisin and spicy sriracha, and you'll be eating like a native in no time. Cafe Hoang has a second location on Cermak in Chinatown. But there are several places around the region you can find pho.
1010 W Argyle St
232 W Cermak Rd.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Mayor to expand repaving initiative for potholes
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting 47 min ago
- Young girl killed by falling bookcase in Northbrook
- Police: Woman sexually assaulted on Northwest Side
- I-Team: Illinois deficit released
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- Malaysia denies report missing plane kept flying hours after...
- Man arrested after Colorado child kidnapping, 2 carjackings
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- SXSW crash in downtown Austin kills 2,...
5 min ago