Turkey stars at Smokey's BBQ
June 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Turkey is the surprising star of the slow-smoked show at Smokey's BBQ in Chicago's Jefferson Park.
Diners come for the ribs and the pulled pork, of course -- and the addictive cheesy potatoes. But one of the other reasons locals flock to Smokey's BBQ in Jefferson Park is the restaurant's judicious use of wood.
"We use only oak, which we think is the preferred wood by most pit masters. It seems to work the best for us, and people actually compliment us that it's not too smoky," said Frank DeJulio, one of the co-owner's of Smokey's.
The pork is tremendous. Great smoke ring, tender... just right. Same goes for the brisket, which is sliced or chopped, and usually mounded between buns for a fantastic sandwich. But the real dark horse at Smokey's is their turkey. That's right. Turkey.
"We brine it for about 10 or 12 hours, which gives all the flavor to it. And we smoke it for about three hours, and then we finish it in the oven for about an hour and a half. And we slice it thin. We make a little au jus, a Smokey au jus, and that's how we heat it up. And we top it off with our sauce," DeJulio said.
It's a Thanksgiving without the formality. This brined, smoked and roasted bird is as good as anything else on the menu, and from a health perspective, it's much leaner than the pork and brisket. Another option is the Smokey Joe, which combines pork and brisket into one delicious sandwich. DeJulio says business has been brisk, but don't for one second think that this is easy work. Even though a lot of other folks seem to be barbequing these days, it's not a job for the weary.
"I'll give you a hundred pounds of meat and you can rub it and load it in that smoker, and I'll tell you what. That's a lot of labor," he said.
One thing that's not smoked - but is homemade and worth a few extra calories - is Smokey's BBQ's dense cheesecake, served plain.
5481 N. Northwest Hwy.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead 10 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine 14 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela 34 min ago
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- Styrofoam product ban proposed in Chicago
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
10 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe...
14 min ago