Tequila not just for margaritas
September 21, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Hispanic Heritage Month just kicked off last week, and when it comes to Mexican culture, one of the best known products is tequila.
But the Hungry Hound says there is much more to this spirit than just margaritas.
His guest today knows quite a bit about the origins of this unique product.
Hispanic Heritage Month always begins on September 15, the day of Mexican independence, and part of the celebration includes toasting, of course. In Mexico, tequila is king, but for some reason, in this country, it often gets a bad rap.
Debbi Peek is the Illinois mixologist for Southern Wine and Spirits. She uses a fair amount of tequila throughout the course of her day.
Here are two great drink recipes calling for tequila:
FLIGHT OF THE CONCORD
- 1 1/2 oz Patrón Silver
- 1/2 oz Violet Liqueur
- 2 oz Fresh Lemon Sour
- 6 Concord Grapes
In a mixing glass muddle fresh sour and concord grapes. Add Patrón, violet liqueur and ice, shake. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a concord grape and lemon twist.
- 1 1/2 oz Patrón Reposado
- 1/2 oz Ginger Liqueur
- 1 oz Apple Cider
- 1/2 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
Shake with ice. Strain into an ice filled rocks glass. Garnish with an apple slice sprinkled with cinnamon.
*Fresh Lemon Sour - Equal parts fresh lemon juice and simple syrup
*Simple Syrup - Equal parts sugar and water- dissolved
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913