Tequila not just for margaritas
September 21, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Hispanic Heritage Month just kicked off last week, and when it comes to Mexican culture, one of the best known products is tequila.
But the Hungry Hound says there is much more to this spirit than just margaritas.
His guest today knows quite a bit about the origins of this unique product.
Hispanic Heritage Month always begins on September 15, the day of Mexican independence, and part of the celebration includes toasting, of course. In Mexico, tequila is king, but for some reason, in this country, it often gets a bad rap.
Debbi Peek is the Illinois mixologist for Southern Wine and Spirits. She uses a fair amount of tequila throughout the course of her day.
Here are two great drink recipes calling for tequila:
FLIGHT OF THE CONCORD
- 1 1/2 oz Patrón Silver
- 1/2 oz Violet Liqueur
- 2 oz Fresh Lemon Sour
- 6 Concord Grapes
In a mixing glass muddle fresh sour and concord grapes. Add Patrón, violet liqueur and ice, shake. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a concord grape and lemon twist.
- 1 1/2 oz Patrón Reposado
- 1/2 oz Ginger Liqueur
- 1 oz Apple Cider
- 1/2 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
Shake with ice. Strain into an ice filled rocks glass. Garnish with an apple slice sprinkled with cinnamon.
*Fresh Lemon Sour - Equal parts fresh lemon juice and simple syrup
*Simple Syrup - Equal parts sugar and water- dissolved
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Red Line Reconstruction Project sees 1st rush hour 5 min ago
- School closings march planned to protest CPS consolidations
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Burned body found inside Avondale dumpster
- Man accused of sexually assaulting, abusing teen girls
- Desiree Rogers named chair of Chicago tourism board
- School shooting remembered 25 years later
- Relative of murdered Chicago child fatally shot
- WWI submarine has underwater Lake Michigan grave
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot
- Photos: Eva Longoria on night of wardrobe malfunction
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- 7 in :77
- Red Line Reconstruction Project sees 1st...
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos