Chicago Oyster lovers shuck, slurp at The Savoy
October 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Oysters are on the mind of many Chicagoans this week as Shaw's Crab House hosts its annual "Oyster Fest". But Shaw's is not the only game in town for oyster lovers. There are a few good options from GT Fish and Oyster in River North to The Savoy, a new restaurant in Wicker Picker.
The Savoy is a new entry in the city's drive to procure and serve the finest oysters. Shaw's has a 25-year head start on the competition-- but The Savoy is doing its best to carve out a niche.
"You come into our place and the first thing you see is the raw bar; guys shucking oysters, slicing tuna and the oysters come from all over the world; we always have an East Coast and a West Coast variety," said Chef Brian Greene.
Depending on the day, there might be Hurricane Harbors from Prince Edward Island in Canada or the more popular Fanny Bays from British Columbia. Each region has its own type of characteristics, according to Greene.
"The west are typically creamier, sweeter, and the east tend to be more salty and briny," Greene said. "When you get 'em you definitely want to have the oyster liquor; you want a juicy oyster."
And while a squeeze of lemon is fine, be sure to take it easy on the vinegary mignonette or zesty cocktail sauce. You don't want to overwhelm the oysters' brininess.
After shucking and slurping, there is plenty of opportunity for imbibing. Absinthe plays a large role at the restaurant, which carries more than 40 different types. One can order absinthe a la turn-of-the-century France and get it in a glass topped with a sugar cube and a slow, watery drip. Or you can just have it in a cocktail made from a recipe in a nearly 100-year-old book.
The Savoy offers menu options other than oysters including halibut, salmon and tuna.
1408 N. Milwaukee Ave.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap