La Sirena Clandestina's menu embeds Brazilian staples
December 28, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- You see the flaky empanadas, and the garlicky, parsley-and-cilantro-jammed chimichurri sauce, and you're thinking: this must be a Brazilian joint. But La Sirena Clandestina is much more than that. In fact, Brazil plays only a minor role.
"When I was a kid I lived in Brazil for five years and traveled around quite a bit. So that definitely influences what we do here. I mean it's the food that I like," said Chef and Owner John Manion.
And Manion likes simplicity. A grilled hangar steak - again, with that vibrant chimichurri - and impossibly crisp, pan-roasted chicken thighs, then served over a mound of crunchy, garlic-flecked rapini and a butter-fortified chicken braising liquid sauce, sprinkled with cashews. But his tastes always bring him back to Brazil in some ways, reflected in a dish like moqueca.
"I feel like moqueca is one of the world's great dishes, it's just that nobody really knows it here," he said.
It's a fish stew, for lack of a better term, and here, Manion starts by adding a cilantro-coconut puree to rice; meanwhile, he cooks head-on shrimp with coconut milk, onions, peppers and tomatoes. Sauteed mussels surround the rice, while the shrimp go on top, crowned by a piece of sauteed baramundi.
"The dende oil, the chile, the coconut milk is a big factor; it's something you see a lot in Brazilian cooking," said Manion. "These are flavors that I really, really like, but it's not an ethnic restaurant. The seasons here definitely factor into what I do as well."
Which is why it's no surprise to see a seasonal salad, like shaved Brussels sprouts tossed with a huge mound of dill, plus almonds, manchego cheese and charred radicchio.
"So it's kind of Latin, but it's kind of local as well," he said.
La Sirena Clandestina
954 W. Fulton Mkt.
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment 17 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 51 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash 13 min ago
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago 45 min ago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake