Maison Brasserie serving up French comfort food
January 2, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- French comfort food typically means cassoulet or beef bourguignon, but a new brasserie in the city is also making a labor-intensive brandade everyday, which is a perfect winter snack for non-meat eaters.
Any self-respecting French bistro - or brasserie, for that matter - has to have certain dishes in its repertoire. For a newcomer like Maison Brasserie - which hides beneath the shadow of the majestic aqua building in Lakeshore East - that "must-have" dish is brandade.
"Brandade is the traditional dish from the south of France; it's made primarily from salt cod and potatoes," said Perry Hendrix of Maison Brasserie.
Hendrix doesn't take any shortcuts. To begin, he submerges filets of cod in salt for a week.
"I think salting really concentrates the flavor of the fish. It's also the tradition of the dish that I believe in following," Hendrix said.
After seven days, the fish is soaked in water overnight, so it's not too salty.
In a large pot, he combines cubed potatoes, heavy cream and the washed-and-rinsed cod. Some garlic cloves and a bouquet of herbs are tossed in, and everything is heated slowly for about 45 minutes. Once the ingredients have softened, the mixture is transferred to a stand mixer, where a dough paddle is used to beat it up; while that's running, a thin stream of olive oil is added to give it just a bit of richness and bring the brandade together.
It's transferred to a serving dish, then baked for about 10 minutes, until it's piping hot. Served with some toasted crostini and a small tangle of greens, it's a cozy French starter on a winter's day, or night.
"I think it sells better in the winter; a little warmer starter for people," Hendrix said.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking