Maison Brasserie serving up French comfort food
January 2, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- French comfort food typically means cassoulet or beef bourguignon, but a new brasserie in the city is also making a labor-intensive brandade everyday, which is a perfect winter snack for non-meat eaters.
Any self-respecting French bistro - or brasserie, for that matter - has to have certain dishes in its repertoire. For a newcomer like Maison Brasserie - which hides beneath the shadow of the majestic aqua building in Lakeshore East - that "must-have" dish is brandade.
"Brandade is the traditional dish from the south of France; it's made primarily from salt cod and potatoes," said Perry Hendrix of Maison Brasserie.
Hendrix doesn't take any shortcuts. To begin, he submerges filets of cod in salt for a week.
"I think salting really concentrates the flavor of the fish. It's also the tradition of the dish that I believe in following," Hendrix said.
After seven days, the fish is soaked in water overnight, so it's not too salty.
In a large pot, he combines cubed potatoes, heavy cream and the washed-and-rinsed cod. Some garlic cloves and a bouquet of herbs are tossed in, and everything is heated slowly for about 45 minutes. Once the ingredients have softened, the mixture is transferred to a stand mixer, where a dough paddle is used to beat it up; while that's running, a thin stream of olive oil is added to give it just a bit of richness and bring the brandade together.
It's transferred to a serving dish, then baked for about 10 minutes, until it's piping hot. Served with some toasted crostini and a small tangle of greens, it's a cozy French starter on a winter's day, or night.
"I think it sells better in the winter; a little warmer starter for people," Hendrix said.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home