Oiistar knows what real ramen can be
January 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago may not be blessed with ramen joints like New York or L.A., but the tiny new Oiistar, in a secluded Wicker Park storefront, is hoping to transform our understanding of what real ramen can be. For chef Sunny Yim, the epiphany happened on a trip to Japan.
"It was amazing, the noodle, which is the homemade noodle. So that's why I was so interested. 'Oh, why don't I do that,'" said Sunny Yim, the owner of Oiistar.
That meant buying a $65,000 Japanese noodle machine, which begins by turning high-protein flour, egg yolk powder and gluten - with the aid of water - into a soft, powdery dough. He pushes the dough into the side of the machine, and seconds later, it emerges as a firm, wide, flat ribbon of pasta that's gathered on a thick, wooden dowel. Yim sends the dough through a cutting attachment, guiding the finished noodles into a container.
Meanwhile, pork bones are cleaned and placed into a massive stockpot. It's filled with cold water and slowly simmered, constantly skimmed of fat and impurities. The process takes about 18 hours.
When an order comes in for the house ramen - one of three on the menu - ladles of broth are heated in a wok with miso paste; noodles are boiled and vigorously shaken and drained before landing in a wide bowl. In goes the broth, then tree ear mushrooms in one quadrant; thinly-sliced pork loin in another. Garlic oil, then chile-laced oil, plus a soft-cooked egg with a runny yolk and a few scallions on top.
There's a lot more than ramen here, fantastic pork belly buns stuffed with cucumbers and wasabi sprouts, plus a few oddball options like a kimchi-embedded French onion soup.
But Yim is most proud of his ramen, which he hopes his new customers will appreciate.
"Just one bowl, it really looks like simple. But in order to make a really nice noodle...there's a lot of effort," he said.
1385 N. Milwaukee Ave.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Winter storm spreads mixed precip across Chicago area 54 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV 5 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton 30 min ago
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina 30 min ago
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen 28 min ago
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
- Winter storm spreads mixed precip across...
54 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes...
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos