Fresh, delicious beignets at Jimmy's Pizza Cafe near Chicago's Lincoln Square
February 6, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Eat them while they're hot! Jimmy's Pizza Cafe makes fresh, crispy, light, New Orleans-style beignets.
You don't have to be from New Orleans to appreciate a warm, powder sugar-dusted beignet. But it helps to know what it is.
At Jimmy's Pizza Cafe, on the far Northern tip of Lincoln Square and Ravenswood, they make beignets all year long.
"It's like a donut, but it's not. It's much lighter, it's crispier," said Jimmy's owner Jimmy Kang.
Kang researched his beignets in the Big Easy, and he feels confident his recipe comes close.
"I've been to Cafe du Monde and Morning Call, both when I was younger but Morning Call is the place that really stuck out in my mind," he said.
They begin with the dough, of course; the recipe a closely-guarded secret. It's guided through a sheeter a few times, to press it out and it get it to the proper thickness. Then it's cut out into squares, with the aid of a special roller. Those squares are tossed into hot oil, which fries them up within a minute or two. Finally, they each get a serious shower of powdered sugar.
"We have a lot of people coming from New Orleans who moved up here and they actually prefer mine so, I don't know, you're gonna have to try it," said Kang.
Kang says he gets orders all year long for his beignets, but this time of year, it gets particularly busy.
"During Fat Tuesday, we have a lot of people coming through, especially people who are transplants from New Orleans, they're actually taking a lot of orders out for, to go party or what not," he said.
The beignets need to be eaten fresh and hot. Do not get them to-go.
Jimmy's Pizza & Cafe
5159 N. Lincoln Ave.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Lake Shore Drive closed Wilson to Foster 3 min ago
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- Carl Sandburg H.S. on 'soft lockdown'
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos