Green season begins at Sepia in West Loop
April 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Ramps, morels, asparagus. . . Just a few of the culinary signposts, signaling to chefs and diners that the green season is finally here.
In the West Loop, one chef is using ramps in various ways. All of them are delicious.
The seasons help dictate what Andrew Zimmerman does each day. Since he's in charge of creating the menu at Sepia in the West Loop, that means right about now you'll see ramps.
"Kind of like a cross between a spring onion and garlic; they can be really pungent or sometimes they're a little more mild," said Zimmerman.
Even if they're tiny, Zimmerman buys as much as he can from foragers and farmers, knowing he can preserve them.
"So we get as many ramps as we can and pickle the stem ends and the bulb," he said.
He chops up some of those pickled ramps, tossing them with fresh herbs and olive oil, plus some of the pickling liquid. This salsa verde is then draped between a thick, grilled steak and a mound of asparagus - its springtime cousin.
Zimmerman even uses up the ramp leaves, pureeing them into a vibrant green sauce.
"And then use that to finish, for example, a potato-leek soup, which turns it into a potato-ramp-leek soup which is vividly green and really tastes of ramps and the spring," he said.
The soup is garnished with smoked trout, crème fraiche and caviar, plus miner's lettuce. Clearly, it's one of the most exciting times of the year for local chefs.
"It's one of the really clear harbingers of spring; and it's nice to know that the days of root vegetables and hoop house stuff are coming to an end," said Zimmerman.
And Zimmerman says it's not just ramps, but also morels, spring peas and asparagus this time of year.. A few hints as to some of our other stories coming up later this week.
123 N. Jefferson St.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy 52 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines reports plane missing 17 min ago
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North 13 min ago
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Woman accused of stealing credit cards from Loop gym
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
59 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
52 min ago