Publican welcoming spring with peas
April 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The sight of green is all over the kitchen at The Publican in the West Loop this time of year.
"We've been dying for the last four months; nothing but root vegetables, kale, sweet potatoes. First chance we get to get green we go for it," said Brian Huston, the Chef at The Publican.
That means the ham chop - a menu mainstay that's been brined, smoked and roasted to juicy luciousness, is, at least this time of year, showered in a salsa verde containing English peas and radishes.
"It's got capers and anchovies and herbs and shallots and chili. It's like a simple..we call it simple but there's really a lot of flavors going on there," Huston said.
In a skillet, Spring garlic and onions are sautéed, while fresh, green chickpeas are added to a pan of homemade tagliatelle.
"They're kind of hot right now, they look like the little wasabi peas. Just a different texture a different taste," said Huston.
A handful of salty pecorino-romano cheese and some black pepper finish it off.
One of Huston's most vibrantly green options is a savory starter; technically a sformato.
"I call it kind of a ghetto soufflé," he said.
The baked mold contains pea puree, bechamel sauce and some eggs. Crowned with pea shoots and even more fresh peas, it's a springtime green dream.
"It's light, it's rich, it's when we try to use up all the produce we can," he said.
837 W. Fulton Market
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 14 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty 51 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted 1 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 4 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Dog rescue underway at Lake Michigan
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 24 min ago
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
51 min ago
- NLEI's Construct Program
57 min ago