Reuter's Bakery poundcakes worth the calories
May 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An 86-year-old bakery on Chicago's Far West Side caught the eye of our food reporter recently and it led to some new discoveries. Among them, poundcake. It's the subject of our Friday Night Special.
Not many bakeries can say they've been around since the Coolidge administration, but in 1927 -- the same year Lindbergh made his historic transatlantic flight -- Reuter's opened in Chicago. The business was sold to the Eberle family 45 years ago.
"It was originally purchased by my father and my wife, Erin, and I took over in 2000," said Richard Eberle, the owner of Reuter's.
Eberle keeps it simple: cookies, cakes and donuts, plus some other specialties.
"Granted, we have some new items, but coffeecakes, breads, rolls, these things are pretty much the same as they've ever been," he said.
About 15 years ago, he added a lemony, sour cream-infused poundcake that is truly worth the calories.
Sugar and butter start things off in a giant stand mixer, and the key is creaming, or mixing them well together. While they're beating, Eberle adds fresh lemon juice and vanilla. Then it's time for eggs -- quite a few of them -- and then he alternates between sour cream and flour, adding both very carefully. He portions and weighs out the batter into cake molds, and after they're baked, each one gets a shower of powdered sugar.
"My notion is that it's about consistency. We make the product over and over again, the same way. People identify with it and they come back because they know it's a good product," said Eberle.
There are also coffeecakes, draped in sweet strudel, but Eberle says despite the bakery's Polish and German origins, their repertoire has evolved.
"Now I think it caters to everybody. We have items that are Italian; we do paczkis, we do zeppoles for St. Joseph's Day. We're here for everybody," he said.
Now you can't go wrong with 86 years of experience; the last 45 in the same family. And while a lot of bakeries make coffeecakes and poundcakes, these two are pretty hard to beat.
The bakery also makes custom cakes for special occasions.
7177 W. Grand Ave.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Spring-like day followed by snow 44 min ago
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 50 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute