Jibek Jolu offers unique Kyrgyzstan cuisine
May 4, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- As you drive by the Lincoln Square storefront of Jibek Jolu, the words "Central Asian Cuisine" only hint at the depth on the menu. The restaurant features the food of Kyrgyzstan, which benefits from its proximity to Turkey, Russia and China. In fact, many of the expats who eat here regularly look Asian and speak Russian.
"Kyrgys food is a mixture of several cuisines. We adapt from everywhere," said Albina Urmat, a co-owner of Jibek Jolu. "We have a little bit of Mongolian food, we have a little bit of Russian, Chinese and Turkish."
From the Russian side, blinchiki, which begin as thin pancakes, then envelop cottage cheese or sauteed vegetables.
"Dumplings, a lot of dumplings like pelmeni or blinchiki; those are from Russian food. Or soups, we have saliyanka and borscht," she said.
Noodles are hand-pulled, in a tradition that dates back centuries. The first phase is a bit mundane - just pulling and stretching - but once the cook gets going, her hand-pulling is mesmerizing. Boiled for just a minute or two, they're quickly tossed in a bowl then topped with a saute of daikon radish, peppers and beef.
Another Asian touch - manty - thick, overstuffed steamed dumplings that clearly originated in Asia. The Mongolian beef has multiple personalities: the thinly-sliced, cooked beef seems Chinese, but the sides of mashed potatoes and carrot-vegetable sauce are pure Russia. The fact that the kitchen cooks for its hard-core regulars only enhances the experience.
"I think for them it's like coming home again," she said.
So Central Asian cuisine - specifically Kyrgy food - has all kinds of influences; from Russia to China, even Turkey, and the great thing is they are all supremely delicious.
Desserts are almost more Mediterranean-influenced, including honey cake, baklava and tiramisu.
5047 N. Lincoln Ave.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 27 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears 14 min ago
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death 35 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way 53 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman 52 min ago
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
1 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
27 min ago