DePaul students study ethnic grocery store impact
June 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Only a handful of DePaul students conducted the survey. It ended up identifying well over 200 ethnic grocery stores in Chicago.
"We tried to take a look at how they affect the way people experience neighborhoods. How they eat, how they experiment with new foods, how they mix with different cultures," said Professor Joe Schwieterman of DePaul University.
With nearly a dozen ethnic grocery stores, Uptown is predominantly Asian. Here at the Broadway Supermarket, adventurous shoppers can find all the taro root, jackfruit and exotic greens imaginable. Schwieterman says these tiny gems are scattered throughout the city.
"Especially on the Northwest Side and on the North Side; here in Uptown, Albany Park, Rogers Park, they're just everywhere, but then you go to Chinatown or even the West Side, there's pockets," said Schwieterman.
"People were actually a little bit more familiar with ethnic grocery stores than what we originally thought they would be," said Ryan Forst, one of the students who conducted the study.
Most of these stores are able to carry smaller amounts of specific items, and also carry a wider variety. They also provide shoppers a sense of community.
"They come into these stores and they feel connected to their neighbor because they see how people live," said Schwieterman.
So some conclusions: the survey found that there are more than 200 ethnic grocery stores in the city of Chicago; about half of them - no surprise - are Mexican. The neighborhood with the most ethnic grocery stores continues to be Albany Park, on the city's Northwest Side. But here's the interesting thing about what they found: most people who were interviewed revealed that having ethnic grocery stores really expands their horizons, getting them to try new foods, plus, it adds some spontaneity to their culinary lives.
4879 N. Broadway St.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff 32 min ago
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 22 min ago
- Toddler reported missing on South Side 54 min ago
- Kevin Trudeau to be sentenced in federal court 26 min ago
- Person hit by train in Grayslake, Metra affected
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- Late winter snow shuts schools, offices on East Coast 14 min ago
- 2 found dead in Michigan City shooting
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
22 min ago
- ABC7 To Go 3-17-14
2 min ago
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
54 min ago