Parkers soft-shell crabs fresh, delicious
June 21, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- There are plenty of items to choose from on the massive, seafood-friendly menu at Parkers' Restaurant and Bar in Downers Grove. But this month, it's all about softshell crabs, which arrive still kicking.
"It has to say 'wild, caught, USA' and it will say it's from the Chesapeake. They're proud of what they do and they're gonna say it," said Chef Pat McLaughlin.
Those farmers have to know exactly when to pull them from the water.
"It's such a short time that they have to actually pick these when they're molting; they only have about two to three hours to get them out of the water and into these boxes," McLaughlin said.
When they arrive, the cooks dredge them in flour, dunk them in beer batter, then submerge them in hot oil for a few minutes, until they're crisp.
"I like primes. I think there's a nice crunchiness to it. They're not too mealy; I think a whale can get very mealy, not enough of the crisp, crunchy texture that you like with a softshell," he said.
Soft, striata loaves are lightly grilled, then smeared with an anchovy-flecked green goddess dressing. On goes crisp lettuce and tomato, plus a healthy mound of coleslaw, and finally, the fried crab, which makes for a massive - and messy - sandwich.
"A little messy, but I think if you're going to have a sandwich - a po' boy so to speak - it's gonna be a messy event," he said.
The softshells can also be sauteed, if you don't want them deep-fried. McLaughlin says the season should last at least another month.
Parkers' Restaurant & Bar
1000 31st St., Downers Grove
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 12 min ago
- Photos: Farm animals rescued in Kane County
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 21 min ago
- Netflix subscribers targeted in phishing scam
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics 31 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos