Plum Market a specialty grocery store
July 27, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The aisles of specialty produce, imported goods and frozen treats look familiar to the savvy shopper, but take a deeper look inside the gleaming new Plum Market in Old Town, and you'll see some touches previously only available to shoppers in Ann Arbor or West Bloomfield.
"So we went forward in design - scaled down, a little more human scale - but we kind of also reached back in terms of service, looking for that sort of bodega-style, general store service; very personal, really nice people," said Darin Latimer of plum market.
Those nice people man a compact frozen yogurt shop and an Intelligentsia coffee bar right up front, plus a Michigan original: the legendary Zingerman's Bake House which dominates a bakery section featuring plenty of other Chicago-area artisans.
"Their bakehouse makes a tremendous line of natural starter breads and pastries and we are gonna be the first store in Chicago to carry that entire line baked fresh every day, they created an entire production shift just for us," Latimer said.
The prepared food section could become the greatest salad bar anywhere in town. Whole grains, leafy greens and root vegetables are just the tip of the iceberg. Directly across the aisle, freshly-prepared sushi and sashimi, plus a carving station with hearty proteins ready to go.
"We've got a restaurant-quality kitchen back there; there's no commissary production. Everything is made fresh in-house every day," he said.
And a couple of other unique features here at Plum Market: concierge service, so they have personal shopping to help you run around the aisles. Curb service, if you don't have a lot of time you just pull up, they bring the groceries to you, and a full wine bar because we all know, we need to have a glass of wine after a long day of shopping.
1233 N. Wells St.
Assembly fee of $9.99 for Plum Market to shop for you. Aka "Skip the Trip."
Zone 1 - $15
North to Armitage, West to Halsted, South to Division and East to the Lake
Zone 2 - $20
North to Diversey, West to Sheffield, South to Kinzie and East to the Lake
Weekends $22 for all deliveries
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet 29 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All