Hot Doug's an iconic hot dog joint
August 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- You'll find him holding court, pen and paper in hand, calling out orders all day long. He peppers his speech with an occasional "you got it," or "absolutely." Doug Sohn's namesake, Hot Doug's, is now not only an iconic encased meats emporium, it's also the subject of a new book compiling the joint's quirky history.
"To give the customers an outlet to sort of voice their stories and drawings and poems and haikus about it, and a big part of it was I wanted to get things down on paper before I completely forgot everything," said Sohn.
It all started due to Sohn's own longing for something from his childhood. And despite the elk, wild boar and duck sausages, topped with everything from spinach raita, sun-dried tomatoes and foie gras mousse, Sohn says it's hard to mess with the classic, and its seven holy ingredients.
"When done right, I think the Chicago hot dog is a great sandwich and it stands on its own and it's terrific," he said. "It's sweet, is savory; has hot and cold elements; has spicy elements to it, has that nice saltiness, has the sort of earthiness from the bun and the acidity from the tomatoes and the pickling of the sport peppers and the pickles and when it comes together I'm still..you know, I get asked about all the other sausages and I always recommend like, you know, if push comes to shove I'm picking the Chicago hot dog."
Now the hours at Hot Doug's a little bit quirky - 10:30 in the morning until four in the afternoon, Monday through Saturday - they're always closed on Sundays. And there is typically a line stretching all the way down the side of the building. But a little tip for you: come later in the week, like a Wednesday, Thursday or even Friday at about three in the afternoon - an hour before they close - you'll find it kind of like this, no line and not much waiting. By the way, Doug says he'll never open a second location; this is it.
Leave the plastic at home. Hot Doug's is cash only.
3324 N. California
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 54 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Volunteers get word out on insurance sign-up
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
54 min ago