European-style sweets for chocolate lovers
September 28, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chocolate lovers near Naperville are in luck. A well-known sweet shop has recently expanded, now offering even more European-style sweets.
If you show up too hungry, you're likely to eat your weight in sweets. Locals have always relied upon Le Chocolat du Bouchard for imported chocolates and homemade pastries, but since they expanded a few months ago, the tasty options have increased as well.
"It's more or less the patisserie area, the baked goods and the whole chocolate section we moved over here, so we've got our European chocolate cases that we built," said owner Cathy Bouchard.
And good luck settling on just one. Hazelnut, walnut, pistachio and macadamia nuts are just a few of the dozens of truffle options. Some, shaped like cacao pods; others more simple. Next to that, a case full of baked goods, including a decadent carrot cake and an assortment of cheesecakes and more elegant plated desserts. All of them are made upstairs.
"We've got two kitchens upstairs above each building and so we do all of the baking. So all of our baked goods, patisserie, our French pastry chefs are making all of the goods on premise," Bouchard said.
In the original space, a coffee bar with an 8-page dessert menu. Expect fanciful coffee drinks, plus nearly three dozen specialty hot chocolates.
Bouchard says she's more interested in finding great chocolate, than she is in producing it.
"Mostly what I do is I travel the world to find the best of the best," she said. "I try to taste test my way through the world to find good chocolate. So I'm not a chocolatier, I'm a chocolate connoisseur."
You can also do something called "book the bar" which is take over this whole space for 6 to 12 people - great for birthdays or bridal showers - and the nice thing is every guest gets their own dessert flight which ensures a very sweet event.
Aficionados will also appreciate the fact they've sourced some of the best chocolate bars in the world, from places like Italy and Hungary.Le Chocolat du Bouchard
127-129 S. Washington St., Naperville
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Frigid temps, sub-zero wind chills settle in
- Driver questioned in deadly Skokie crash
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop 45 min ago
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side 59 min ago
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation 16 min ago
- Bank robbery suspect sought by FBI
- Pearl Harbor bombing anniversary marked
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $297M
- Making Your Own Candy Canes
- United Airlines takes Starlight kids on trip to North Pole 18 min ago
- Video: The Ditka you didn't know
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area