Southern Kitchen revives soul food tradition
October 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- There was nothing like Army and Lou's smothered pork chops, or Izola's sweet potato pie, but there are new traditions being created just a block or so from the South Shore Cultural Center. With only a handful of tables and a huge kitchen, they're hoping to lure a new generation of hungry diners.
The complex battering and dredging of chicken, multiplied by the systematic frying in oil, is a ritual with many sources. For Jessica Warfield, the home cooking at the Southern Kitchen, a brand new restaurant in South Shore, comes directly from her own taste memories.
"I'm originally from Sikeston, Missouri. Every Sunday morning my grandmother she would get up and she would cook everything from scratch from the biscuits, bacon, fresh made cakes, banana puddin'; I kind of adopted her whole style and pretty much that's what landed me here," Warfield said.
Smothered chicken and pork chops. Crispy, deep-fried catfish and sides like candied yams, vinegary collards and smooth mashed potatoes are just a few of the staples Warfield deploys to lure in hungry neighbors. And her meatloaf, of course.
"Very Southern-style meatloaf," she said. "It's cooked with the breadcrumbs, bell pepper, onion and everything is made from scratch."
Just like her mac and cheese, which not only gets doused in a buttery-rich milk base, but also dollops of sour cream and several cheeses, including mild and sharp cheddar, as well as Colby. Baked in the oven for about 25 minutes, it emerges with a firm, cheesy crust and a softened interior.
Warfield hopes by replicating the recipes she remembers as a child, she'll be able to feed the memories - and stomachs - of her newfound neighbors.
"We've had a lot of good supporters so I'm very happy about that," she said.
7167 S. Exchange
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 11 min ago
- Photos: Farm animals rescued in Kane County
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 44 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 30 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 2 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Netflix subscribers targeted in phishing scam
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
11 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami...
15 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
2 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos