Handmade pastys at Bridgeport store
October 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- If you've ever been to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, you're probably familiar with pastys.
The handheld pies are typically a meal by themselves. ABC7's Hungry Hound says you can now find traditional pasties in one bridgeport storefront, but they're also selling them around town from their food truck.
In another country, they might be called calzones. But at Bridgeport Pasty, the namesake is a Cornish delicacy being brought back to life, made by hand, one at a time.
"Pasty is a hand-held pot pie. It started in Cornwall, England with the tin miners, and morphed into somewhat of a cult in Michigan when copper miners brought them over from the UK to Michigan," said Jay Sebastian, co-owner of Bridgeport Pasty.
Now Sebastian delivers them via his custom made truck, which has a nifty warming oven built-in.. But also from his retail store. About a half-dozen flavors will rotate, but you can always count on seeing things like sausage, apple and sage this time of year; also spinach, plus a chicken pot pie that just screams comfort. Not only is there great care in assembling the fillings, but it's the dough that's almost more important, since it must be as sturdy as it is tasty.
"And it took a long time for us to experiment with that, I mean literally months we were experimenting with how to get it just right and how to hold up and how the crust holds up, because really you're supposed to be holding it by the crust," said Sebastian.
The store is open every day, 11 am to 8 pm, except on Sundays, and they have this beautiful patio next door to the store, and if the weather is great, it's wonderful to sit outside here; they've got umbrellas and everything. You can also follow the truck around town, that's BridgeportPasty on both Twitter and Facebook.
3142 S. Morgan St.
11 am - 8 pm
In Hyde Park (Frozen Bake at Home)
Zaleski & Horvath Market Cafe
1126 E. 47th St.
1323 E. 57th St.
On the North Side (Frozen Bake at Home)
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 55 min ago
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up 42 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- 11th District Republicans hope to unseat Bill Foster
- Chicagoan helping to empower college students
- Woodstock man accused in 8 rapes waives jury trial
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- Bears agree to 1-year deal with Tillman
- Video: Time-Lapse Video: Snow Melt in Naperville
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation 37 min ago
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
55 min ago
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago...
43 min ago