Honey Butter's ode to fried chicken
October 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- It's the restaurant stemming from an annual dinner special. Avondale's Honey Butter Fried Chicken was born from a kitchen accident during a dinner club event several years ago.
"And we freaked out because our chicken has lots of black pepper, lots of garlic powder, lots of zestiness to it and that honey butter just kind of evened everything out, mellowed it out. We ran out to the dining room and told everybody, 'put the butter on the chicken," said co-owner Joshua Kulp.
So Kulp and his partner, Christine Cikowski, now brine Amish birds in a citrus and chili-spiked brine overnight; dredge in seasoned flour with garlic and onion powder, as well as rice flour, dunk in buttermilk, then dredge again, before frying in trans fat free, non GMO canola oil. Batches are checked for temperature.
"When the chickens come out of the fryer, we do hit it with a little bit of smoked paprika or pimentón, it's a Spanish spice that's sweet and a little bit smoky and we just like how it really goes with the chicken and with the honey butter," said Kulp.
Sides are truly glorious: creamed corn is spiked with green curry and Thai basil; perfectly-cubed sweet potatoes are dressed and crowned with cilantro. Even the cocoa nib, toffee and sea salt cookies are crave-worthy. Kulp says the fact they de-bone all of the pieces (except the drumsticks), makes creating a towering sandwich with cabbage that much easier.
"And you get the experience of eating the chicken without the bone, which, honestly, is pretty pleasant," he said.
As for the sudden popularity sweeping Chicago?
"Apparently people really love fried chicken," said Kulp.
Honey Butter Fried Chicken
3361 N. Elston Ave.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet 55 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 53 min ago
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event 52 min ago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
53 min ago
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing...
55 min ago