At Hewn, every bread loaf handmade
November 16, 2013 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- Ellen King is proud of many things, including her starter: that is, her flour, yeast and water mixture that's fed each day, helping create the sticky, slightly fermented dough at her bakery, Hewn, in downtown Evanston.
"The wild yeast just starts blooming, because yeast is everywhere. It's on your hands, it's in the air, some of its on the flour. What that does is it allows you to have breads that have that really complex flavor," said King.
In the case of their caramelized onion rye, the dough ferments for 17 hours before being shaped, dusted with rice flour then scored with a razor, giving it its tell-tale shape,
"Everything we do - most of it - is mixed by hand, naturally fermented, we're using organic flours. We're not perfect, we don't want everything to look perfect, we want it to look like we made it," said King.
The same holds true for the pastries, and even the sandwiches, which contain beautiful ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, avocado and manchego cheese, but are housed between misshapen loaves of ciabatta.
"I like that really rustic, rough exterior where it looks a little like that deep amber taken almost to like what some people say is too dark," King said.
King says the payoff is seeing customers return for more of her handiwork.
"I think that the character of us coming through the bread is what makes it interesting."
Hewn has about a half dozen breads on offer every day, but don't forget about the pastries - at least a dozen different items here: scones, cookies, croissants and these kouign amanns, really interesting item: caramelized sugar with sea salt.
The bakery also makes a fantastic braided challah every Friday.
810 Dempster Ave., Evanston
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 10 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt 42 min ago
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released
- 2 kids who died with dad in I-65 crash ID'd 26 min ago
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Barrington meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says 4 min ago
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos