Nantucket Bay scallops in season at Evanston's Quince Restaurant at the Homestead
November 30, 2013 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- Late fall doesn't tend to yield a lot of seasonal produce, besides squash, but this time of year is actually prime season for the prized Nantucket Bay scallop.
The thumb-sized treasure is showing up on local menus in late November, early December, and our hungry hound visited one restaurant in Evanston, where they currently feature them in a special appetizer.
They are no bigger than the average adult thumb. Nantucket Bay scallops are finding their way into kitchens this time of year, notably at Quince Restaurant at the Homestead, just East of downtown Evanston, where they appear in a special appetizer.
''So the fisherman hand harvest them and shell them, shuck them," said Quince chef Andy Motto.
That's part of the reason they're pricey; they also need to be cleaned by hand, just a brief wash in salt water to remove any grit. Then into a hot pan with a bit of canola oil, until they're caramelized.
''Just showing the quick caramelization of how sweet the scallop is itself, just simply with salt and pepper really,'' said Motto.
Dried on paper towels, Motto brushes them with a soy-citrus zest-yuzu-ponzu-hoisin-garlic sauce, then arranges them on a plate, surrounding some Asian greens wrapped in a thin cucumber. He adds some finely-chopped Fresno chilies for mild heat, then grates a bit of fresh citrus zest over everything, to brighten it up - starting with lemon, then orange, and finally lime. The final flourish, a bit of young coconut and chamomile foam.
''And we like to serve that with a cucumber roll for some crispy, fresh, bright, acidic, sweet/savory texture, crunch to the dish,'' said Motto.
As Motto said, the season is short so you gotta get out now if you want to try these Nantucket Bay scallops, and remember Quince is only for dinner, not lunch.
Quince Restaurant at the Homestead
1625 Hinman Avenue
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 13 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 14 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way 8 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman 7 min ago
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
14 min ago