Q Restaurant fuses French, Vietnamese
November 30, 2013 (ORLAND PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- The pair of sisters running the new Q Restaurant along 159th Street have been in the business for years, but finally realized it was time to open their own place.
"We have a lot of guts and we want to wipe a clean slate. We want to do everything from scratch," said Ellie Huynh, co-owner of Q Restaurant.
That means for every traditional American or French-influenced dish, there is something from their native Vietnam - since the French influence there is so prevalent. One example lies in the crispy crepe known as banh xeo.
"Banh xeo is the Vietnamese crispy cake; a traditional Vietnamese pancake that we use coconut milk base and they come with chicken and shrimp," said Huynh.
The cooked crepe - embedded with shrimp, chicken and bean sprouts, arrives with lettuce and fresh herbs, which you assemble and make your own little package, eventually dipping into slightly sweetened fish sauce.
"Our soup and salad is very unique. We use traditional Vietnamese fish sauce that we marinate and play a little bit with the Asian spices," she said.
And for every turf - as in grilled pork belly set over cellophane noodles, there is surf - like a whole lobster tail and diver scallops, fortified with French butter, and a few Asian accents via rice and bok choy.
"And then we play with the Asian spice with the fusion and then we come up with something new," Huynh said.
So the nice thing about Q is its versatility. If you wanted to, you could go old school, very simple with just a steak and some French butter. Or, a little bit more ethnic from the Vietnamese side of the menu, and in some cases, the food is just as good if not better than the ethnic food you're gonna find on Argyle Street in the city.
The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, and there is also a full bar - which happens to specialize in martinis.
11379 W. 159th St., Orland Park
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 40 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night 46 min ago
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed 20 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge 51 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
54 min ago