Johnny Casserole focused on one-dish meals
January 25, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Even if you couldn't read, the icon out front says it all. Hot Dish if you're from Minnesota, casserole if you're from Chicago. Johnny Casserole, actually.
"Chicken pot pie, shepherd's pie, mac and cheese, tuna noodle. I mean those are the ones that first like, you know pop out and speak to you initially," said owner David Bryson.
Bryson makes about a dozen flavors, in two different sizes.
"Large one, which has to be pre-ordered and individual ones we carry on a limited basis every day," he said.
His lasagna is as good as anyone's nonna. Three layers of lasagna pasta sheets, holding a rich, homemade tomato sauce, fresh zucchini, mounds of basil, spoonfuls of fresh ricotta, a creamy bechamel, plus roasted red peppers and fresh discs of mozzarella. Baked until golden, it'll easily feed the family.
Same goes for the chicken pot pie. Here, he combines a rich sauce of chicken stock, cream, herbs and lemon juice, with pulled chicken, roasted vegetables, broccoli, corn and peas. If that wasn't enough, he tops it off with homemade biscuits that bake right along with the pot pie. It will certainly remind you of someone's grandma, if not your own.
"That homey, comfort food feeling that everybody gets you know. Hunkered down with a good meal that's easy to make, and easy to clean, one dish," said Bryson.
Now best bet for the large casseroles is to give them at least a day's notice. But if you were shopping on an impulse and wanted a casserole today, you could stop in anytime. They always have these little individual ones, although flavors rotate, among the dozen or so flavors they have.
The store will eventually keep a few large casseroles on hand to pick-up to bring home, but for now, best to call ahead.
4019 N. Damen Ave.
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 1 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Woman accused of stealing credit cards from Loop gym
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 4 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time 59 min ago
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
1 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
26 min ago