River Valley Ranch expands to Chicago area
February 8, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- For nearly 40 years, the River Valley Ranch has been a mainstay for mushroom production, just over the Wisconsin border and after years of attending Chicago area farmer's markets, they now have a retail store and cafe here.
You've probably seen jars of River Valley mushrooms or pasta sauce at local markets. After attending about 30 markets a week during the summer, the family behind it all decided it was time to add a retail location.
"We started doing prepared food at those markets with the many value-added products that we make, so the next natural step in the evolution seemed to me to move to a storefront, and that's what this is."
Five varieties of fresh mushrooms are available yearround, including portobellos, buttons and creminis.
"And then we offer about 70 different products that are made with mushrooms; everything from pasta sauces to six varieties of pickled mushrooms to salsas, tamales, veggie burgers."
A 'shroom Italian beef combines marinated and griddled portobellos with roasted red peppers on a grilled mushroom baguette. Even brunch specials, like a fantastic smoked whitefish eggs benedict, embedded with their spinach-artichoke dip, topped with poached eggs and an heirloom tomato hollandaise gets a side of stuffed mushrooms. The only things safe are dessert: like lemon poundcake or the fantastic salted caramel gelato from Zarlengo's on the South Side.
"The philosophy is if there's a way to get mushrooms crammed into it we'll do it."
"Now River Valley is obviously a great spot for brunch, maybe get a sandwich, a little snack, or stop and get some groceries, and pick up some fresh mushrooms; go home and make dinner yourself.
They're also close to opening up a small wine room for private dinners. They also are now making bagels, including a mushroom flavor.
For more information:
River Valley Farmer's Table
1820 west Wilson Ave
Chicago, IL 60640
restaurants, steve dolinsky
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 3 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run 2 min ago
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Lake Station mayor, wife plead not guilty to corruption charges 51 min ago
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Portland shootout injures officer, kills police dog
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77