Edgewater Soaps uses natural ingredients
September 24, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A skin condition led David Melis to start making his own natural soap- which turned into a company that makes that and much more.
"Most of my recipes are formulated in such a way that they are pretty well-behaved," David Melis says of his natural soaps. Melis suffered from eczema, a condition that causes skin to itch and flake. He says he has found no over-the-counter remedy that works as well as his own.
"Ever since I've been using natural made soaps, I have never had a problem with eczema like I used to," said Melis.
He calls his products Edgewater Soaps, edgewatersoaps.com, after his popular north side neighborhood. Melis started making soap in his kitchen about seven years ago. He admits the first batch didn't turn out so well.
"It immediately clumped up into this huge blob," said Melis. "It was a waste and I had to throw it out, but it smelled like soap and I was hooked."
Now, Melis makes a whole line of products, including liquid soap, body oil, bath balms and even pet shampoo. He uses primarily natural ingredients including essential oils and many items you'd find in your kitchen -- like cornmeal, which works as an exfoliant.
"They're made with all vegetable oils and butters, no animal products or byproducts, no chemical detergents or preservatives, just pure natural soap," said Melis.
Melis says he's always looking for creative ways to expand his product line. He's tweaking new recipes now to expand his offerings for pets.
green, hosea sanders
- CTU vows not to re-elect mayor over school closings 51 min ago
- Woman injured in Chicago Skyway crash 58 min ago
- Police: Drive safely, buckle up on holiday weekend
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- I-Team: Morgue donates bodies without authorization
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- CTA bus crash in Chicago Lawn injures 2
- Pritzker's Commerce Secretary confirmation hearing begins
- Brian Urlacher retires from NFL after career with Chicago Bears
- Census bureau finds Chicago is growing, but slowly
- Northlake man to be sentenced after kids found tied
- Jurors to resume deliberations at Trump trial
- Man sentenced in murder after alleged ad for sex with pregnant...
- Wayne Miller dies at 94; photos chronicled black Chicago life
- Lunch Break 05-23-13
19 min ago
- CTU vows not to re-elect mayor over school...
51 min ago
- Woman injured in Chicago Skyway crash
58 min ago