Green Metropolis Fair turns every day into Earth Day
April 15, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago's eco-friendly, sustainable shops come together in one place Saturday at the Green Metropolis Fair.
The 3-year-old, eco-friendly boutique Green Genes is a hub for all things baby. Most of the merchandise is made from organic or repurposed materials -- including the store's signature "Sweater Dudes and Friends," which are made from repurposed sweaters.
"Parents are starting to look for things that are sustainable and safe for their kids," Heather Muenstermann, Green Genes, said.
At Healthy Green Goods in north suburban Evanston, shoppers can get a sample of all kinds of good-for-you products.
"Healthy Green Goods is about chemical free products for use on your body or in the home or in the office anywhere. I started this store because of my own severe chemical sensitivities and having to change my lifestyle to be safe," Dr. Marny Turvill, Healthy Green Goods, said.
These are just two of the vendors that are participating in the Green Metropolis Fair this weekend. It's a joint venture between the Green Parents Network and Mindful Metropolis magazine.
"We write about sustainability, local and organic food, spirituality, personal growth, kind of a conscious living umbrella," Maureen Ewing, Mindful Metropolis Magazine, said.
The Green Parents Network is an online community of about 2500 families. Organizers say the fair will address many of their concerns.
"People are very concerned about the environment that their children are growing up in for example the inside of their homes and schools and outside in the things that their families encounter outside. We'll have a number of vendors at the fair that have products that help people to keep the inside of their home clean in a positive way using products and so forth that don't have harmful chemicals," Mary Beth Rebedeau, Green Parents Network.
The Green Metropolis Fair, www.greenmetropolisfair.com , is Saturday, April 16 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Irish American Heritage Center, 4626 N. Knox, Chicago IL.
green, hosea sanders
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible 36 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Speed cams start issuing tickets in some areas
- Autopsy on body found near where woman last seen
- Ice jams on Rock River force evacuations
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday 28 min ago
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation
- St. Patrick's Day Family Party
9 min ago