Green Metropolis Fair turns every day into Earth Day
April 15, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago's eco-friendly, sustainable shops come together in one place Saturday at the Green Metropolis Fair.
The 3-year-old, eco-friendly boutique Green Genes is a hub for all things baby. Most of the merchandise is made from organic or repurposed materials -- including the store's signature "Sweater Dudes and Friends," which are made from repurposed sweaters.
"Parents are starting to look for things that are sustainable and safe for their kids," Heather Muenstermann, Green Genes, said.
At Healthy Green Goods in north suburban Evanston, shoppers can get a sample of all kinds of good-for-you products.
"Healthy Green Goods is about chemical free products for use on your body or in the home or in the office anywhere. I started this store because of my own severe chemical sensitivities and having to change my lifestyle to be safe," Dr. Marny Turvill, Healthy Green Goods, said.
These are just two of the vendors that are participating in the Green Metropolis Fair this weekend. It's a joint venture between the Green Parents Network and Mindful Metropolis magazine.
"We write about sustainability, local and organic food, spirituality, personal growth, kind of a conscious living umbrella," Maureen Ewing, Mindful Metropolis Magazine, said.
The Green Parents Network is an online community of about 2500 families. Organizers say the fair will address many of their concerns.
"People are very concerned about the environment that their children are growing up in for example the inside of their homes and schools and outside in the things that their families encounter outside. We'll have a number of vendors at the fair that have products that help people to keep the inside of their home clean in a positive way using products and so forth that don't have harmful chemicals," Mary Beth Rebedeau, Green Parents Network.
The Green Metropolis Fair, www.greenmetropolisfair.com , is Saturday, April 16 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Irish American Heritage Center, 4626 N. Knox, Chicago IL.
green, hosea sanders
- CPS school closures begin 58 min ago
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Officials recover body in Lake Michigan near Oakwood 2 min ago
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- Governor, lawmakers plan to form new pension committee 41 min ago
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back 40 min ago
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Lombard's Los Burritos Mexicanos still closed after E. coli cases
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- CPS school closures begin
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos