Ravenswood Remix showcases recycled art
September 2, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Remix. Rethink. Recycle. That's the theme for Chicago's newest art festival, Ravenswood Remix, which features artists who re-use old materials as part of their art.
Gates said it all started with a desire to see how things work and then to see how they can work differently. About a year ago, Gates found an old, broken watch and picked it apart. He became fascinated by what he found inside.
"There's a lot of old watches that have engraved designs and just very cool pieces to them and you never get to see them and what I wanted to do was bring those out," Gershenson-Gates said.
After gifting jewelry to family and friends, Gates realized that he was on to something.
"I started making jewelry for my family and they liked them so much that they wanted me to put these online and I did and here I am," Gates.
Now, he designs a variety of earrings, cufflinks and all kinds of pendants for necklaces. One of his most popular items is a bird-shape -- made from the gears of an 1880's-era timepiece. He also gets requests for custom creations.
"You may have granddad's watch and it's broken and you won't be able to use it, but why not repurpose it and make it into something that you're going to wear, that you're going to show off every day?" said Gates.
"Just in terms of where we're at in thinking about living in a more green environment and promoting a green lifestyle. That's something that these artists are really embodying every day, taking old things and making something new and beautiful out of them," Jennifer Gordon, Ravenswood Remix, said.
The Ravenswood Remix Art Fair takes place Saturday, September 3 and Sunday, September 4, from noon to 10 p.m. in the 4100-block of North Ravenswood between Belle Plaine and Berteau. Proceeds will benefit the art program at Hamilton Elementary School.
green, hosea sanders
- Evanston HS baseball season ends over sexting
- Memorial Day marks start of summer travel season 4 min ago
- Man shot to death in Zion Aldi parking lot
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number 43 min ago
- CPS security guard allegedly pushed student
- Freight train collides with semi-truck in Barrington
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave
- 7 in :77
25 min ago
- Memorial Day marks start of summer travel...
4 min ago