Want to smell like Chicago? Perfumer creates scent
October 19, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago is known for its great restaurants, impressive skyline and world-class arts scene but what about its smell? A local perfumer is betting that consumers will want to drape yourself in the city's fragrance too.
"Tru Blooms" perfume is made using extracts from flowers grown only in Chicago. It's a first-of-its-kind effort, sustainable and some say it smells pretty good too.
Chicago-based Tru Fragrances started the project about a year and a half ago, according to Chief Marketing Officer Paul Leroue.
"We sat down and said 'How can we do something different that would honor Chicago, that would deal with beautification of Chicago, sustainability, maybe even create some jobs?' and 'Tru Blooms' became an idea we fell in love with," LeRoue said.
Tru Fragrances partnered with the Chicago Park District and several non-profits to grow and harvest flowers including lavender, roses and violets in neighborhoods all over the city.
"Quite frankly for the park district, they [Tru Fragrances] helped us out because the dollars that we would have spent planting our gardens, we didn't spend," the Director for the Department of Natural Resources at the Chicago Park District Adam Schwerner said. "They spent it planting our gardens."
The company is already eyeing additional locations for next year when they will plant a different combination of flowers to create an entirely new scent that will still be uniquely Chicago.
"Tru Blooms" is on sale at Water Tower Place and several other local retailers throughout the holiday season. They warn that once this batch is sold out, you will never be able to get quite this same scent again.
For more information visit www.trubloomschicago.com
green, hosea sanders
- Riverdale body ID'd as Amierah Roberson, 1, missing from Chicago's South Side 13 min ago
- Murder warrant issued for LSD standoff suspect 14 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Controversial 'Pure American' billboard removed 35 min ago
- Unclaimed items auctioned off by treasurer's office
- Gary Bettenhausen, race car driver, dead at 72 55 min ago
- Kevin Trudeau to be sentenced in federal court
- Train incident stops Metra at Grayslake during morning commute
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
- Riverdale body ID'd as Amierah Roberson, 1,...
13 min ago
- Murder warrant issued for LSD standoff...
14 min ago