Spring construction on Edens, Tri-State
Prep work stalled cars on the Edens Expressway last fall, but now the real deal is just weeks away.
Prep work stalled cars on the Edens Expressway last fall, but now the real deal is just weeks away. "The Edens rehabilitation is going to start April 4th right around 10:00 pm we're going to start shutting down lanes from Wilson all the way up to Lake cook Road and we're going to be reducing traffic to 2 lanes," said Jacek Tyszkiewvicz, IDOT region 1 chief construction engineer.
From April to September crews will repair and resurface the 13 miles of the Edens, as well as rebuild six bridges. During construction, traffic capacity will be reduced by one-third, inconveniencing thousands of motorists.
"I'm going to have to look for an alternate route and I don't know what that route is right now - not many options," said Emmanuel Oshana, Edens driver.
IDOT strongly recommends drivers begin experiencing with alternative routes in the next couple of weeks. One detour drivers should steer clear of- the Tri-State Tollway, which is undergoing a reconstruction and widening project. Delays are already bad on the tollway.
"There's no question, it's going to be a trying time for our commuters on our system, we are coordinating with IDOT with the Edens construction as well as the Tri-State construction," said Brian McPartilin, executive director, IL Toll Authority.
The 294 repair zone does keep three lanes open in each direction, but there are several counter-flow lanes in place that can make maneuvering a little tricky. The first southbound counter-flow zone is from Rt. 132 to Half Day Road. The second one extends from Lake-Cook to Touhy. The northbound counter-flow zone is from Sterns School Road to the state line. While the work on the Edens should be done in September, the Tri-State project could extend into early 2010!
The speed limit in both construction zones is 45 mph. They will both have photo radar enforcement.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 55 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George 56 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 41 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout 45 min ago
- Bulls fans ready for start of playoffs
54 min ago