Construction to begin on I-80/94
March 3, 2009 (NORTHWEST INDIANA) (WLS) -- If spring is right around the corner, then so is construction! The final widening project along the Borman Expressway in northwest Indiana is about to begin.
The familiar site of crash barrels and barrier walls can mean only one thing-- construction season is upon us. One of the major projects this year is in northwest Indiana along I-80/94.
"We've started construction on a project to widen the Borman Expressway from Broadway to Central from 6 to 10 lanes and this week and next we'll be shifting all lanes of traffic to the north," said Joshua Bingham, INDOT.
This year crews will work on the eastbound lanes. There will still be 3 lanes of traffic for both directions in the repair zone, with one eastbound express lane for cars only.
Several ramps will be closed:
The big concern for state police is the summer travel season.
"We'll have extra patrols assigned to the construction area and we'll be out there in full force as always enforcing 45 mile speed limit, the seatbelt law and with the express lane out there, there will be no trucks or buses allowed and we'll be out there enforcing that as well," said Sgt. Ann Wojas, Indiana State Police.
Under normal circumstances, the Indiana Toll Road would be an ideal alternate to get around any Borman construction delays. However, this year there's construction on the toll road too!
This is also a widening project for the 5 mile stretch between Broadway and the Gary airport. Both projects will continue through December of 2010.
Your best bet if you'll be traveling across northwest Indiana over the next 2 years - add plenty of extra time, or travel during off-peak hours.
traffic, roz varon
- Tanker truck rollover closes eastbound Indiana Toll Road
- Carbon monoxide injures 12 in Skokie
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours 15 min ago
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- CTA Blue Line train service resumes
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- ABC7 To Go 12-19-13
20 min ago